Collection and Recycling Arrangements in the Netherlands
Under the Dutch Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Management Regulations which came into force on January 1st 2005, Smiths Medical is responsible for the financing of collection and recycling of the following equipment:
- Any electrical and electronic equipment that you bought from Smiths Medical before August 13th 2005 (referred to as Historic WEEE), which is being replaced by a new piece of equipment bought from Smiths Medical; and
- Any new electrical and electronic equipment that you buy from Smiths Medical after August 13th 2005, when that new equipment eventually becomes waste (referred to as New WEEE).
For any other waste electrical and electronic equipment bought before August 13th 2005 which is being replaced by an item of Smiths Medical electrical and electronic equipment, the environmentally sound disposal of this other equipment is the customers responsibility.
Smiths Medical products are very competitively priced. Any new increase in operating costs for manufacturers such as Smiths Medical is normally reflected in a price increase in the product. However, instead of increasing the prices of our products Smiths Medical has decided to share these new environmental costs directly with our customers. We believe in being transparent with you on any new environmental costs that our products need to address.
Our approach to sharing these new environmental costs are:
- You pay for transportation of your WEEE to Smiths Medical’s appointed recycler in the Netherlands.
- Smiths Medical pays for the costs of treatment, recycling and recovery of the WEEE to meet the targets set by the WEEE Management Regulations.
- Smiths Medical pays for the costs of data management and reporting to the Ministry of Spatial Planning, Housing and The Environment (VROM) to demonstrate compliance with all administrative requirements of the WEEE Management Regulations.
Smiths Medical has established a recycling contract with the European Advanced Recycling Network (EARN) and will cover any costs of treatment, recycling and recovery of the equipment on arrival at the EARN facility in the Netherlands. All New WEEE that arises from the purchase of Smiths Medical products is classed as non-hazardous waste.
It is your responsibility to arrange and pay for costs of collection and transportation to EARN. In order to meet the requirements for waste disposal as stipulated by the Environmental Management Act 2004, you should use one of the following carriers (which hold a valid Waste Carriers License):
Koninklijke TNT Post B.V.
For larger quantities of waste, you may want to contact the recycler directly to arrange and pay for alternative collection methods. The EARN recycling facility in the Netherlands is:
Telephone: +31 (0)40 257 1570